The Power of Sleep
Sleep is an essential part of our daily routine, but getting a good nights sleep can be difficult for many people.
As well as missing out on the health benefits from our repair hormones whilst sleeping, we also crave energy to replace the sleep we have missed.
The most popular ways to gain quick fixes of energy are carbohydrate, highly calorific foods and caffeine products which can disrupt the following nights sleep patterns and put on excess weight.
Methods to improve your sleep cycle include:-
- go to bed earlier, (try to get around 8 hours of sleep per night).
- stay away from products with caffeine after 12pm (e.g. coffee, sports drinks, fizzy drinks, energy drinks, caffeine tablets etc)
- Keep away from sugar and nicotine after 12pm too as these are stimulants.
- Keep phones, TV, tablets (any screens and electrical devices) out of your bedroom
- Try to read a book and de-stress
- Keep hydrated but don’t drink too much water before you go to bed or you may have to get up during the night.
- Exercise more during the day but not intense exercise close to bed time (as raised cortisol will make it hard to get to sleep).
- make positive changes in your daily routine if you find it hard to fit in 8 hours sleep
Don’t forget you will also be much happier and energised with more positive energy, after a good nights sleep.
“Gaining sleep and improving your sleep cycle is one of the simplest ways to improve the efficiency of your body and improve your health and fitness”