GREAT BASE FOR SOUPS,
STEWS & CURRIES
ORGANIC CHICKEN STOCK RECIPE
This stock recipe can be used for a wide range of recipes, e.g. soups, stews, curries and chillies. Great to make up a large batch and tuck it away in the freezer so that you don’t have to use a cubed version from the supermarket. No salt is added, we don’t feel that it is lacking in taste because of this.
- Chicken carcass
- Head of garlic
- 1 onion
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1 parsnip/turnip/swede (or any combination of root vegetables)
- 2 carrots
- 1 leek (optional)
- Handful of fresh herbs eg. rosemary, thyme, parsley, chives, basil, bay leaves.
- 4 litres water
- chilli seeds (optional)
- black pepper to season
- tbsp olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot.
- Add garlic and onion, leave for 1-2 minutes until aromatic.
- Add in all of remaining ingredients and stir well. (You can use any combination of the ingredients from above, organic or otherwise. If you have any left over veggies from last night’s dinner, throw those in too, it will all add to the flavour.)
- Cover, bring to the boil and then lower to a simmer. Leave on for at least 2 hours, the longer it cooks the more flavoursome your stock will become.
- Once cooked leave to cool, then strain liquid from chicken and vegetable mixture.
- Portion stock into whatever containers you have, it freezes really well and can be used at a later date for a multitude of recipes.